Now that Thanksgiving’s here (give or take a couple of weeks), I decided to share what I’m thankful for. I also decided to take a different approach this time around, which means I’m not going to discuss the usual. Don’t get me wrong, I’m beyond thankful for my salvation, my family, my friends, my house, and all those great things. But this Thanksgiving season, I want to spend some time being thankful for the little stuff. You know, the seemingly insignificant stuff I often take for granted. The small things that add up to make life more enjoyable (and fun!).
I’m thankful for…
- Potatoes (this includes fries, potato skins, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, chips, etc, etc, etc).
- Pink staples (prettify my homework assignments, but have yet to boost my grade)
- Snuggies (they’re just…snuggly)
- Nice-smelling hair spray (the scent almost makes up for the blindness and shellacked arm hair I experience each time I use it)
- Garden gnomes (creepy, but cute)
- Fuzzy socks (which equal warm, cozy feet. It’s difficult to be sad when your feet are happy)
- Refrigerators (for obvious reasons)
- Laptops (keeps me connected to my online social life, and makes it a ton easier to write stuff)
- Noodles (being able to test them for done-ness by throwing them at the wall doubles my gratitude)
- Tub crayons (for the times when the perfect thesis statement hits you in the shower)
- Inflatable rafts (keeps my feet out of the icky lake and away from the things that live in it)
- Cookie dough (what’s not to be thankful for when it comes to cookie dough?)
- Cell phones (no matter how dilapidated or non-smartphoneish they may be)
- Carpet (especially the kind that feels like you’re walking on a cloud)
- Tacos (hello! It’s a taco. ‘Nuff said).
- Bacon (I’m convinced bacon can improve any situation)
- Flowers (so beautiful and good-smelling)
- Rubber ducks (they’re just fun)
- Blanket forts (excellent way to revisit your childhood when your parents are out of town)
- Nativity Sets (the baby Jesus is always my favorite)
- Brown corduroy pants (long story behind this one)
- Argyle sweaters (unexplainable fascination)
- Unique tape dispensers (mine is shaped like a kidney and has sand in the bottom)
- Pianos (not so talented, but love listening to people who know what they’re doing)
- Facebook (blessing and a curse)
- Car air fresheners (because who doesn’t love a car that smells like vanilla?)
- Coffee (I am my mother’s child…this one’s a given)
- Costumed characters (they completely freak me out, but I’ve got a great story of how one tried to maul me at Disney World)
The list could go on (and on, and on, and on…), but I think that’s enough for now. I never realized how grateful I was for the teeny-tiny parts of life until I started compiling this list. Why don’t you give it a try? It’s actually fun and you’ll walk away feeling thankful for more than you ever considered!
Thank You, God, for giving me thousands of blessings – big and small, hidden and obvious, trivial and essential. I’m forever thankful.
“…giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” –Ephesians 5:20