First things first: HAPPY 2013!
Second things second:
The day after Christmas, my family decided to make like geese and head south for winter break. The only thing more south than where we live is Florida, so that’s where we went. As we approached the GA/FL border, the weather became warmer and slightly more balmy. There we were, a bunch of northerners (relatively speaking), driving to the Sunshine State. I was, naturally, wearing my comfy traveling clothes: also known as sweats and a hoodie. I think I own, like, two pieces of name brand clothing, and they both happen to be part of this ensemble. And yes, they’re clearance rack Aeropostale and Old Navy, but whatever.
My family usually pays homage to the Golden Arches whenever we’re traveling, so that’s what I was expecting. But my parents decided to go to a sit-down seafood restaurant instead. And you know that if I didn’t spend time selecting a nice outfit for the pilgrimage, then I spent less than .05 seconds on my hair. Hair that curls the closer we get to the ocean. Basically, I looked like a college girl during finals week. But no big deal because: WE WERE GOING TO FLORIDA!
Once we finally arrived, we celebrated the last week of 2012 with my aunt, uncle, and grandparents. In the words of my littlest sister, I loved it “oh-so-much!” Some of my most favorite things in the world are sunsets, and they are always breathtaking at the beach. Here’s what I’m talking about (prepare to be amazed):
None of those pictures have been edited and, having been a spectator at these sun setting events, I can assure you the pictures do not do them justice. Whenever I see a sunset, I think of these verses:
“The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.”
“…clouds are the dust of His feet.”
For me, the sunsets were symbolic of the end of another year. They were beautiful, and the year ended well. Just as a sunrise follows a magnificent sunset, so another year dawned at the end of 2012.
“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.”
So now that the sun has risen on 2013, I’ve been thinking about what all this year could hold. You know what? I have absolutely no idea. And that’s incredibly exciting.
Here’s a summary of some of the things I’m looking forward to in 2013 that will pop up on the blog:
- Guest Posts. After the first guest post, I had several people tell me how much they enjoyed it. I enjoyed the experience, too, so I’m in the process of lining up another one. If you missed out on the first one, click here to read it! If you’re interested in guest posting, or have any suggestions, please visit the Contact Me page for details.
- New Series. After the Memories Monday series, I decided we need another one. It won’t necessarily include poetry, but it’ll be something. It’ll also be a surprise, so stay tuned.
- Organization. You may or may not have realized, but I finally got around to updating the categories on the blog. It should hopefully be easier to navigate now. Hopefully.
- Writing. After a Christmas break spent revising a novel, I’ve learned a lot about myself and the writing process.
- School. School gets back into gear tomorrow, and I’ll be taking some highly-anticipated classes. Plus French. I have a feeling this will be a crazy, yet good semester. It’ll be crazy-good.
- God Talks. As always, my faith is a huge part of this blog. My King is teaching me so much, and I look forward to sharing some of it with you.
- Interaction. One of my most favorite things about this blog happens when you share how you’re experiencing something similar, what God is teaching you, or even random things about yourself. I’d love to discuss stuff with you even more this coming year.
- 2nd Blogoversary! February 26 will mark my second year as a blogger. To celebrate, I’m in the process of creating something…let’s call it…uh…special. It’s something I’ve never done before, and it’ll most likely be extremely awkward on my part, but that’s pretty much a hallmark of Anna Schaeffer anyway, am I right? Don’t answer that.
So as you can see, there’s a whole lotta stuff coming up, including things I didn’t even list. I’m terrible at being concise, so I’m trying to work on that. Admitting you have a problem is the first step…
Anyway, thank you so much for spending another year with me! I’m excited to see what God has planned for me—and you!
Question: What’s something you’re anticipating in 2013? Let me know in the comments section!
In His love,
P.S. A note to subscribers: The other day you probably got an email saying something new had been posted, when it was really an old post accidentally being reposted. My bad. I noticed a typo and tried to edit the post like I always do, but it got a really big ego and updated itself as a new blog entry. I deleted the duplicate, but not before it got sent out to you faithful readers. Becoming more tech-savvy is one of my resolutions