I need to clean my room. It’s a problem. So I poured myself a second cup of coffee anddecided to write a blog post instead.
Memorial Day marked the unofficial start of summer, and it made me stop and think about what comes to mind when I think of this time of year. Growing up in the South, humidity and high temperatures are toward the top of the list, but there’s so much more I associate with this time of year…
- Reading by the pool
- Bare feet
- Cool grass in the evenings
- Rocking on the front porch, watching the sun set
- Summer freckles
- Tan skin (“tan” being a relative term, of course)
- Ice cream trucks
- Shorts and t-shirts
- Beach trips
- Windows down, volume up driving through the middle of nowhere
- Slip ‘n slides and water balloon fights
- Lake days
- The tropical smell of sunscreen
- Late nights
- After dinner walks through the neighborhood
- The smell of fresh-cut grass
- Camp fires and s’mores
- A chance to breathe
I could go on, but I want to stop and ask: What about you? What sweet memories or traditions do you associate with summertime?
Let me know in the comments!